Monday, July 2, 2012

Making Laundry Easier (and Prettier)


Hi everyone!  I've got a fun project to share with you today that has a purpose.  We are trying to get the kids more involved in the chores around the house.  Previously they had been just piling all the laundry on the floor in the laundry room and leaving me to deal with it.  Well I have told them now that they need to sort it out.  I made some signs using the Half Bracket Chipboard Banners from Fancy Pants Designs to hang on the baskets so the kids know what goes where.  

I used the fabulous Time For Spring collection from Fancy Pants for my laundry banners.  

Here's how I did it:

1.  First I covered my chipboard banners with some of my favorite pieces of paper, and cut them out.  

2.  I painted on some gesso in the center of my banner pieces, and added some splatters as well.  You can use white paint instead of gesso.
3.  I glued some burlap to the back of my pieces.


4.  I took the letter stickers and added the labels (colors, whites, delicates, towels) that we use to each piece.
5.  I then added a crackle texture technique from Helmar.  It is painted over the whole piece including the letters.  It helps keep everything securely on (so no missing letters later) but it's also just a cool look!  I added a bit of pink ink to the cracks.  


6.  Then I decorated each banner piece using strips of papers, flowers, stitching and ribbon.  



7.  Then I added them with ribbon to my baskets.  :)  




And here's a tip for you.  These banners came with a bit of ribbon but it didn't have enough for this particular project.  I looked for ribbon that I had that was similar in color, but I didn't have any.  But I did have some fabric (it was actually canvas fabric), so I just cut a strip and used it as ribbon.  You can do this with any fabric.  :)  


Of course, you can make this a quicker, simpler project by skipping some of my steps, but anybody can do this fun project!  I am thinking of doing more projects for my laundry now with the collection to match these.  :)

Thanks for stopping by the blog today!!  Have a wonderful day!



7 comments:

Mary Pat Siehl said...

those are the best laundry baskets i have ever seen! adorable

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhhh what an awesome IDEA!!! I loveeeeeeeeeeee these!!! I might have to lift these cause my 15 year old son has NO clue where to put his laundry! LOL!!!!

Lisa Echerd said...

Oh, these are fantastic! I've been wanting to do something with our laundry bin. What a great idea. TFS!

Unknown said...

This is a really fun project!! Although I would have to wait until the kids are a little older- I think my 2-year old would have a blast tearing them off and destroying them!! Ha!
xErin

Beth Hallgren said...

Those are just too pretty to be on laundry baskets! Love all the textures :)

Murphy's Law said...

Very cool and pretty. Love it.

Anonymous said...

how fantastic are these??? LOVE it!!!!