Friday, August 15, 2008

Creating my own paper

The other day I had this idea for a layout but I really wanted some brown polka dot paper. You know how it is when sometimes you see something in your head one way and then you will have it no other way...so I created my own.

I started with a sheet of Core'dinations cardstock (I love these, if you haven't ever used any, get some and play! They are in the ScrapLovers store here
).

Then I used my craft knife and just scratched off the surface in little dots. It was pretty easy. 



You could try to etch a whole design into one of these sheets of cardstock. 

Here is the LO I made:


Other ideas I could have done to make my own polka dot paper:
*  used paint (would have been super easy with 3D paint)
*  doodling
*  embossing (and sanding)
*  used my embroidery floss to thread knots for dots
*  used a hole-puncher's leftover circles
*  used brads or eyelets
*  stamped circles (if I didn't have a small dot I could ink the eraser on a pencil)

What other ideas do you have?  I will add them to the list.  :)

Supplies: 
Patterned Paper--Pink Paislee (and on the owl:) Autumn Leaves, Cardstock--Core'dinations (on owl:) Stampin' Up!, Chipboard--Fancy Pants, Calendar--Jenni Bowlin, Glimmer Mist (on chipoard)--Tattered Angels, Paint--Making Memories, Rub-on owl--Glitz, Label stickers--Jenni Bowlin, Letter stickers--Rusty Pickle, Embroidery floss--Prism.

10 comments:

Alex said...

SHUT UP!!!!! This is fabulous Pamela, I am totally in love with this layout - how cute is that owl??!! And, your dp that you made, pure genius, my friend!!!! *STAMPIN HUGS* Alex

Marcie said...

How creative, and love the owl!

Cheryl KVD said...

Great idea Pamela!! It turned out wonderful!
Cheryl

Unknown said...

what a fab idea, i always use paint or a white pen

Tracey Taylor said...

This is a wonderful use of that Core'dinations.

Amy said...

What a terrific l/o!!! Loving the idea for polka dot paper...you are too creative!

Unknown said...

How awesome! I love those ideas!

Also, if you arent into the symetric cirlcled polka dot paper, hand cut different sizes of circles to glue onto your paper! :D

Thanks for all those great ideas!

Oh guess what?
I have entered into a contest, and need some votes! :D Stop on by my blog
http://scrappin-a-rose.blogspot.com/
and read the first two posts on how to vote for me! :D Thanks! :D Much Appreciated!

Jen Glover said...

Fabulous idea!!!!!! GREAT LO! I love the owl and the paper! We must sell this in the Coconut ScrapShop!!!!

Thanks for sharing!!!

jo-ann said...

what a great idea! i absolutly love the owl! i scrolled through your blog and noticed we share a site in common! (mmfy) i came here through scrapscene!

Pearl said...

wow that is so patient of you to do that with a craft knife ! for cards i can easily say use the Cuttlebug - but yes sigh ! i cant Cuttlebig Swiss Dots unto 12x12 on a Cuttlebug yet ! unless I cut an piece several 4x4 or 4x6 pieces together ! now thats an idea too ! lol great tip nevertheless ! I do wish to stop buying stuff & simply use whatever I have on hand before running out to buy