Thursday, August 14, 2008

Adding special touches with stitching. :)


This is the LO that I posted yesterday.  I wanted to challenge you all to try adding a stitching design to you LO...I promise that you will like how it looks!  It can be intimidating if you have never tried it but I still really encourage you to give it a try.

Here is what I do:
I bought a box of transparencies (cheap) a long time ago, so I get those out and use a transparency for my design.  I will use a sharpie and draw a design on the transparency.  You could also print your design on a transparency (print on the rough side).  Here is my used transparency:

Some people draw right on the paper since they will be stitching over it.  That is fine too, I have just found that I have better control over the final image when I use a transparency.  Then if I mess up on the drawing (like on my cloud) it's not a big deal, plus then I can move my drawing around on my layout to determine where I think the best placement for my image is.  

After I determine where to position it i poke through the transparency AND my paper with a paper piercer to create my holes for the embroidery floss.  Then I go ahead and stitch my design.  I almost always use a backstitch to do this.  
The diagram may be hard to follow.  But I go up one hole (from the back) and then go to the previous hole (thus the "backstitch") and go down.  Then skip a hole and do the same thing.  If you don't get what I am saying, just play around, you will get it.  

Anyways, here are some close ups of my designs on my LO:




If you try this, post a comment and share it with us...I will even upload it as a sample on my blog.  :)

Here is what Harley Dee did:

3 comments:

Harley Dee said...

Your stitchy cloud is just too cute. I love to stitch on stuff! :) Here is a card I did just the other day with a running stitch and a backstitch.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22872718@N03/2748132284/

Tracey Taylor said...

The stitching is such a wonderful finishing touch. Very nice.

Amy said...

Love the stitching....what a great idea to use the transparency as a template. Never would have thought of that.